21st Birthday in Barbados


Bo









Cabana at Boatyard







Boatyard 




Catamaran Cruise










Dinner spot at the beach

















In Singapore, turning 21 is a big deal. It some of our cultures (since there's a myriad of that there), 21st birthdays are celebrated like weddings, with hundreds of people they barely know in some grand ball with caterers. Just for that 2 hours of fame. Being a Singaporean Indian,  that was expected of me to do that. However, if you know me, I'm not one to follow traditions, nor am I one to spend a spend money on 2 hours of fame and spotlight on me when I can make memories that will last a last time. Therefore, for my 21st birthday, I asked my mom for a trip to the Caribbean (costs a quarter of the price it would have costed to host a huge party and lifelong memories). There's a complicated reason as to why I chose the Caribbean in particular. In October 2018, I turned 20 and therefore I went to Paris for the weekend to celebrate. Not as fancy as it seems I promise. I took a bus to and fro. A 7 - 9 hour bus ride might I add. When I was on my way back to London, I sat next to a guy, Danyl (not his real name). After being stuck in a traffic jam for hours, we started talking and we became friends. As the weeks followed, we became closer as friends and Danyl thought me a lot about the culture here in the Uk, specifically South London and he introduced me to Caribbean culture - the food, music, people. I even met his entire family which was really awkward, if I'm being honest. However, despite our friendship not continuing as strongly or as I would have liked it to, I'm grateful for everything I learnt from him. I felt like I discovered a new world from him. Which brings me to October 2019. After a year of enjoying the music and food, I knew it was time to go to the Caribbean.  

Recommendations in Barbados 
1. Boatyard
Boatyard is the Bajan version of Tanjong Beach Club (in Singapore), except it is literally 5 times cheaper in Barbados. In Boatyard you pay a one time fee that was around 30/40 SGD and you get wristband that covers your food and drinks. For me that was more than enough even for an entire day at the beach. I was there for a good 8-9 hours. I found it really relaxing spending my time on the beach in a cabana, having food, drinks, swimming in the crystal clear ocean, laying out under the sun and watching the sunset in the evening. It was therapeutic. Boatyard also offers water activities. I would typically love that, but personally since I was travelling alone I rather not use those facilities alone. It did look like a lot of fun though. 

2. Coconut Court Beach Hotel
I unknowingly booked a huge room in this hotel. Despite booking really last minute, the room was still affordable. The room came equipped with a kitchen and living area which I did not use at all since I was mostly laying out on the beach or in bed. I'm generally a small eater so it would not be worth it to cook meals, however if you're going there in a bigger group or with your partner, I recommend making use of the kitchen facilities. 

3. Catamaran Cruise (El Tigre) 
This was one of the highlights of my trip. As you may already know by now, I love the ocean, hence it was a must that I was I went on this. It was nice to be out on the catamaran having drinks and food. Snorkelling with turtles was nice. I wish I could have done more snorkelling but I did not have my proper equipments and I didn't like using the ones given by the company. If you're like me, remember to bring your own equipment. Other than that, the people from the company were extremely friendly and did an amazing job at making sure everyone had a good time and were taken care off. 


4. Island Safari Routes
This was such a cool way to get to see as many parts of Barbados in a day. Its basically a 4x4 jeep that goes to many spots in Barbados. The tour comes all inclusive with snacks, drinks and lunch. 

5. Oistins (fish market) 
This place has an array of street food especially sea food and on Friday, they have music and people dancing which gives a sense of community. I ended up meeting a group of new friends here and learnt so much more about Bajan culture from them. 

6. Miami Beach
This beach is right next to ousting. Since I got to the market earlier than I was meant to reach I ended up walking to the beach for a quick dip and watched the sunset from there. As compared to the beach near boatyard, this place was more local. It seemed to me that more of the locals hung out around that part of town as compared

7. Harrisons Cave 
A tourist attraction about a cave that has been around for centuries. I suggest stopping by this since it will only take an hour or so and you will be able to learn a lot about the geographical history of Barbados.

8. Jake's 
Jake's was a steakhouse that was right next to my hotel. I went there a couple times when I was in Barbados. It was a chill place and food was alright. I'm not a huge foodie but I liked that it was accessible.

9. Lily (Driver)
When I first went to Barbados, I was very overwhelmed by the public transport. It was a bit confusing but thankfully, I figured it out quick. However the first couple of days I was slightly nervous therefore I got a driver, Lily. Lily was an amazing young woman I met. She was so friendly and I learnt so much about the Bajan culture from her and I told her how Singapore was too. If you're in Barbados and need a driver. Drop her message on WhatsApp. 







Share:

0 comments